Area of Study 1
On completion of this unit the student should be able to discuss, analyse and compare stances and supporting responses taken by religions as they are challenged.
• challenges involving theology, ethics and continued existence for religion generally over time
• the sources of the challenges and what makes a challenge significant and the aspects of religion which are involved and why
• the stances adopted by religion generally in the face of challenges and why
• an overview of challenges involving theology, ethics and continued existence faced by one or more than one religious tradition or denomination, including:
– the sources of those challenges
– when and where those challenges occurred or are occurring
– the aspects in the religious tradition/s or denomination/s involved
– what makes the challenges significant to the religious tradition/s or denomination/s
– the stances, and responses supporting them, taken by the religious tradition/s or denomination/s to each of those challenges.
• analyse challenges to religion generally
• explain stances adopted by religion generally in the face of challenges and why
• analyse and compare challenges to specific religious traditions or denominations
• analyse and compare stances and responses to challenges taken by a specific religious tradition or denomination
• interpret, synthesise and apply primary and secondary source material.